Questions via the HoN boards.Posted here for everyone else to read. I’ve done one for Djehuty and Aset too. I’ll post them up here too, once I’ve tidied them up a little.
1) What is the most interesting experience with Sobek?
They’re all interesting in their own way. He doesn’t talk much, He’s just there. I become aware of His presence.
The most recent one that I really remember was thinking on something I was told a while ago, Sobek is Amun is Ra (which, historically, makes sense*), only to be told it continues, Sobek is Amun is Ra is Ptah is Wesir.
…I still get a headache thinking about that one. o.O
* Sobek was seen as a form of Amun, and Amun-Ra, and this was His syncretised form, Sobek-Ra. The three are linked in that way. Even if it still makes my head hurt to think about it. They seem just so very… different. But at the same time, it somehow makes perfect sense. I can’t really describe how.
2) How do they communicate with you? (Through emotions, “coincidences,” voices, etc )
Emotions, a few words, dreams sometimes. He’s more of a ‘presence’ than a chatty sort of God. Sometimes all He has to say to me is ‘watching over you’, which is what His name means. One of those reminders He’s still there, even if I can’t feel Him around all the time.
3) If syncretized, does one Name seem stronger or more influential than the other? If aspected, do you ever get any impressions/feelings from the “flip-side” of this Netjer?
I wasn’t actually divined with Sobek having any syncretic or aspected forms, but He’s sort of developed a thing with Heru-sa-Aset over the years.
…I don’t know how to describe what He and Heru-sa-Aset are together. I’m not sure They really fit into either of these categories. They come to me as twins, which, as far as I can tell, has no historical basis. I know, historically, there was a syncretised Sobek/Heru-sa-Aset form, a hawk/falcon-headed crocodile, but Sobek’s told me this isn’t that form. So IDEK. /UPG.
Heru-sa-Aset is definitely much less chatty than Sobek though, which is quite a feat. I rarely feel Heru-sa around, and still don’t really know how to connect to Him. He’s very hard to grasp, and Sobek does all the talking anyway. Heru-sa defers to Sobek, so I talk to Him. Probably because I’m closer to Him. I would like to point out this doesn’t make it any easier to get to know Heru-sa if all Heru-sa does is point me back to Sobek.
…This is going to turn into one of those ‘Sobek is Amun is Ra’ things, isn’t it? I’m going to get another headache thinking about this, I just know it. >.<
4) Have you ever personally witnessed or experienced this Netjeru interacting with another Netjeru?
Heru-sa-Aset. He and Sobek are inseparable for me. As I said above, I don’t know if this is some sort of syncretic or aspected form. They just are.
Strangely, Sobek doesn’t really interact with Amun that much, even though there’s a weird linkage between Them. Amun, for me, is quite separate. He and Sobek aren’t really joined, and I remember Amun making it clear He was Amun, and not Amun-Ra. The names aren’t interchangeable; They’re different Gods. He gets tetchy if I call him Amun-Ra.
5) How does Sobek influence your life? (Words to motivate you, things “fall into place,” a swift kick in the rear when you need it, etc)
The ‘watching over you’ thing, just being there when I need it, those sort of things. He’s very quiet and subtle, and He’s not always around.